Friday, August 14, 2009

A True Story Involving Me Working For A Mafia Guy





OK, so I'm working on this story HOLLOWPOINT with Horatio Salt, the guy who hooked me in on @joymotel. I tell him this story, back in 1978 I'm washing dishes at Sam A****ino's Sandwich Shop. Well, it was really called Pa's, but no one called it that. Same had a wife who looked like Carly Simon and they had just bought a new apartment in this huge building that is actually still behind the Red Lobster at 95th and Southwest Highway. One Monday near the end of July, he heads out to Mirabelli's Furniture on 103rd and Cicero to look at couches. Rush hour on a Monday. Three guys get out of a van and shotgun him away. No witnesses. Sam had the place as a front for a chop shop. After about a month of closing the place by myself and riding my bike home at midnight down SW Highway, which just about led to my backyard, I quit, because there were always (or so it seemed) suspicious looking cars parked across the way, when there was no reason for there to be any vehicle parked. In front of a bridal shop? a martial arts studio? I quit in August and before the end of the month, the place was torched. I want to say it was a month to the day of the killing, but I honestly can't recall. The photos above show what is now taking up the place the furniture place once stood, so yeah, no witnesses. I don't blame anybody, though. The third photo is simply there because I like old buildings that actually have a name. But that strip mall between Rosie's and Pluto's is where Sammy got his. It wasn't too long after the place was torched that I started working with the Elvis band.

6 comments:

Sidney said...

You woke up this morning the world turned upside down,
Thing's ain't been the same since the Blues walked into town.

Charles Gramlich said...

Sounds like you got out just in time. Geeze.

Steve Malley said...

I don't know what else to say today but, "I liked this post."

That is all. :)

James Robert Smith said...

They just gunned the guy down in public?

Life and death of a mobster.

Capcom said...

Wow, I can see why you don't want to mention his last name!

Lana Gramlich said...

My mom dated a mafia gun runner for many years. I only found out about the gun running much later on, but none of it was very savory, I must say.