Friday, April 10, 2009

Two-Flats & Vinegar Vats





Last Saturday I was downtown and on the way home I got off the el at the Western stop. There was a specific set of apartment buildings I wanted to take photos of, at 49th between Western and Oakley. Well, I walked towards Oakley, and I could see the massive yellow Wheatland Tube Building further north; I'm walking east now, trying to catch which block these apartments are on. I'll post those tomorrow, but I never ever knew there was a vinegar factory right where the el tracks bend west again. Well, here it is, vats and all. I even took a photo of the apartments that were on the opposite side of the street. The buildings I was looking for were on 48th, so my walking down the wrong street was a bit of a happy accident. Except for the odor of vinegar.

2 comments:

David Niall Wilson said...

Oddly, what struck me about this was, though it obviously had to BE ... it never occurred to me that there WERE vinegar factories...

Charles Gramlich said...

How fortuitious. I just saw a recipe for Vinegar pie on another blog. It supposedly tastes like Lemon pie.