Thursday, July 10, 2008

Milk Crate Melodrama





I'm quite pleased with the quality of just about every photo I took yesterday, my adventure to the old quarry which started with the melodrama in front of the Old Navy store downtown. I'll likely use up the weekend posting most of the photos, all taken around Archer Avenue between Halsted and Ashland, many having some pretty decent geometric shapes. For starters, though, Just Hungry showed up and started a fight with Methadone Dave, the Dave whose girlfriend claims her baby is his even though he says the kid looks like its from the Philippines, over the red milk crate. Just Hungry will stay in one spot until he gets about three dollars; he's tiny enough that maybe that's enough money for his fix. I can't understand why they fought over the crate, seeing as Just Hungry never once stood on it or used it for anything at all. I sat on the ground, watching it all fall out, surprised that the little guy won out. Dave told me his story a few minutes later, said how it just wasn't worth the trouble fighting with the guy. He cut out then, I guess because he saw another street corner open up. It was at this point that I knew it was going to be a great day for taking photos, which I did, from Chinatown to Bubbly Creek....Wayne

3 comments:

James Robert Smith said...

Human conflict. One can almost predict it, no matter what.

Charles Gramlich said...

Somebody else was posting about a guy stopping at the store where they work and begging for 3 dollars. I just thought it was an odd amount, but maybe they were looking for a fix.

Anonymous said...

Turf wars! Milk crates! From milk crates to garbage cans, from addicts to Ward Committeemen -- that's Chicago for me.

Can't wait to see the other pictures.

-- Rich