Monday, January 7, 2008

Livin In A Van...




Damn but I look like Chris Farley in the photo. Bart and I always joke about our relative poverty by quoting Matt Foley, because we are indeed so close to the Cal Sag Channel. The record breaking warmth caught up with us finally, with several tornadoes touching down in northern Illinois and it rained like holy hell while I was getting high on laminator fumes, helping Don out as we tried to run covers for a Civics class in the Pittsburgh Public Schools that seemed to be printed on rice paper. I left work at 8, the rain was just a drizzle, but I never thought of the sewers in our little cul-de-sac being clogged. I first stepped in a pothole in our blacktop--keep in mind that I am in complete darkness under overcast skies--and thought, well, I'll jump onto the street. And was I amazed to see my feet disappear into water, I could not see my white sneakers or socks. Lots of squishing from that point on...down by the river. Wayne

4 comments:

James Robert Smith said...

Ah, the late Chris Farley. Alas.

The weird, weird weather. It's supposed to hit 75 or 76 here today. January 8. If I hear one more dumbass proclaim that there is no manmade global warming, I'm going to lodge my size 13 boot up his ass so far they'll have to use a crowbar to get it out after I undo the laces.

Charles Gramlich said...

Down by the riverside, down by the riverside. Gonna lay down my burden (laminated covers) down by the river side, the riverrr side of love.

Steve Malley said...

Every now and then I'll tell somebody in the tattoo shop they're going to end up living in A VAN, down BY THE RIVER!!!

The 14-18 year olds with whom I spend those days stare blankly...

Lana Gramlich said...

When I was a teen I was walking after rain once. Stepped into a small puddle (about a foot across,) only to sink up to the knee. Quite the surprise, that was. At least I was able to laugh at myself.